Monday, March 10, 2008

Borax



This is Miss. D, my casting partner. She was understanding about postponing until next weekend. She purchased a new crucible. A crucible is a crucible, right? I suddenly have doubts when I realize her crucible looks nothing like the one at school. Well, we both decided we should coat it with Borax anyway. Neither of us knew what we're doing, what the melted Borax glaze was suppose to look like, so it was like two monkeys trying to figure out what a car key was for. In the end, we got the crucible reasonably coated. I think we have to add a little more glaze coating before we cast next weekend. I'm worried the Borax cooled too quickly. I know some of the "glaze" we created cracked as it cooled. When we heard the little "pings" we covered the crucible to slow down the cooling. At first, we thought we might have cracked the crucible, but then I noticed it was the borax glaze we heard. I double checked the crucible, when it was cool enough to handle, it seemed to be fine. Whew!

No comments: