Monday, March 10, 2008

How Did It All Begin?


Learning about steam casting, for me, begins with taking a metals class at City College and receiving an assignment, a research assignment. The options, research an artist or research a technique. I opt for technique. I considered a few other things, Mokume or enameling. I flipped through our Metalsmith book and noticed Sling casting? Huh? Sling Casting! Below is an example of what Sling Casting looks like. Yikes!


(If you'd like to know more about this image and Sling Casting, you can buy Complete Metalsmith ISBN:1-929565-05-4. It's a great book.)

Like the Three Little Bears, this one was a little too soft, this one a little too deadly, hmm, where was the one that was Juuuusssstt right? On the next page, Steam Casting.
From what I understood of the process it seemed a little scrappy, involved just enough danger to make me feel like I'd accomplish something, and had enough potential for positive outcome to risk trying. However, I didn't have enough information on the process to totally commit. I decided to check the Internet for more detailed information. Eventually, I found a great site by a guy named Don Norris. After reading his site, I decided this was something I definitely wanted to try out. That's how it all began.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this blog.I'm gearing up to do some casting and wish I had read this before getting started but still grateful for the ideas and insights shared. :)