Monday, March 10, 2008

Time To Take a Leap!

Since I last posted, which feels like forever ago, I've been putting off this project. I slowly began to wonder what did I get myself into? However, I've snapped out of it, and today it was time to get the ball rolling again.
I never could find a HOT PLATE. I opted for a small propane BBQ. I changed the tuna can into a dog food can when I realized they were the same size. Today I had some other items to pick up.
First, I went to Oakland to get the Satin Cast I ordered. This is a picture of the cool and uber friendly ladies at Otto Frei handing over my goods. They're awesome!


Next, I had to make my way over to Sausalito! It's a rough thing to HAVE TO GO to Sausalito! Richmond bridge here I come!

I haven't been overly excited about buying silver for this project either, I don't know why. Maybe in the back of my head I was hoping silver prices would suddenly drop? No, I think it's because I know absolutely nothing about buying silver except that it's silver and can get costly quick. I could have been a coward and just gathered my silver scraps to cast. I could have been ultra brave and checked out under-the-table sources, but like I said before, I have NO idea what I'm doing so that seemed like I might be asking for trouble. Eventually, I opted for this place in Sausalito.


I can't even begin to tell you how cool this place is. I called them in the morning, spoke with Tom, to kinda get an idea what I was getting myself into. Tom was so informative about buying silver and the current prices. He also told me how he remembers when silver was $48.00 an ounce. After I heard that, current prices seemed pretty affordable. If that's his selling strategy it's a good one! Anyway, when I arrived Erika buzzed me in. She weighed my wax and gave me a general idea of how much I should buy. In the end, I left richer than I anticipated so I headed over to caffe Trieste to enjoy a cafe au lait in the warm spring sun.


I sat at my table and examined my handy work. This is what I plan to cast, a cowboy. Why? I don't know. It's what I came up with. All I know is, it's not a seahorse! Ha, Ha, ha!
As I drank my coffee, I overheard the lady next to me telling her friend about a sex cult she once discovered in the Marin hills. Uhh. . . Ok, I listened in on the events, but after a few minutes. . . let's just say it was time to go! This wasn't the sort of steam I was looking for! Where does someone go after a moment like that? San Quentin of course!


Why put this side trip in a blog about steam casting? That's a good question. In my opinion, unexpected and unplanned, side trips like this are part of the process. You never know what will happen, or where you'll end up while trying to create something. Point San Quentin is a lovely small town with a view like this. . .


Time to move on, back to east bay.

I've been debating if I should use the casting flask I purchased, or try the tomato can idea. What do you think I decided on?


Yes, I'm crazy! The tomato can won out! Only a person who doesn't know what they're doing would do this! I took the casting flask with me because I wanted to get a can similar in size to the flask I purchased. Now, I needed crafting clay. Where to get crafting clay in Orinda. . . Rite-Aide?

I'll admit this is a crappy picture, but if you look close you'll see a surprise in the pet section. There was a hummingbird flying around in the store! I hope he gets out. I found crafting clay, but it was more than I wanted to pay. I'll try tomorrow. Until then. . .

No comments: